

I met Tenzing Norbu Lama at Studio Center.
He is a painter visiting as a resident there.
He was the subject of a movie, Himalaya, by Eric Valli.
The Movie is great, with a feel like Akira Kurosawa's, Dersu Uzala.
I recommend it.

The most interesting part is that he then illustrated the movie which is his life.
People from his village are the actors. His real mother the wife of the Chief in the movie.
What I find so interesting, the movie is mythic in feel, but after real events, and then repeated as Tenzing's art, in the book he illustrated.

Tenzing Norbu Lama was born in the village of Tinkyu, in Dolpo, Nepal, and hails from a lineage of painters dating back four hundred years. At the age of eight he went to live in a monastery where he was trained by his father in the art of traditional Tibetan thangka scroll painting and where he prepared to be a lama.
No comments:
Post a Comment